Monday, June 15, 2009

What a Real Hero Is by Carrie Hiller

Note: Before you read this you must understand that, because I am a Christian, I could not think of any ways to write this without mentioning any Christian attributes in a hero.


What do you first think of when someone says the word ‘hero’? Spiderman? The Incredibles? C. S. Lewis? A movie star, or a writer, or a singer? That is what most people think of. But what about your best friend? Or perhaps a family member or a teacher?

This is what I think a hero is. 


A hero is someone who genuinely cares about what you are feeling, and when they ask, “How are you?” they actually mean it. They are there for you, not only when you are sad or depressed, but when you just want to talk about life. A real hero will look out for you and love you no matter what.

 

A hero makes you feel good and brightens your day. They are happy and constantly have a smile on their face. It doesn’t matter if you are popular or not. They don’t care what other people think about them because they are doing what’s right.

 

So, you may be thinking, how do I do that? You can try really really hard to be nice to everyone you meet and let them know you care, but even then, it’s difficult. There is always that one kid at school or one person you work with that just doesn’t click with everyone else. This is where faith comes in. I have found that if you have God in your life you are automatically happier, more joyful. This makes it so much easier to be a hero in the ways I discussed, to love and care for people. 


Some think only famous people can be heros, but they were normal once too. With God, all things are possible. You can be a hero. Either that, or you can just sit on your couch and wish you could be like them. You choose what you want to do.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your post about heros. I wanted to comment and tell you what I think of as a hero. To me, my grandpa is my hero. He is a war veteran who fought for our freedom. Our freedom to say what we believe, to express ourselves in our religion, and to each have a shot at the American Dream. He was one of the many people who loved the idea of Democracy so much, that he decided to do something about it. That's my idea of a hero.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger